Clear rules for road haulage companies

A grey and white lorry driving along a country road.
Road transport plays an important role in supplying Switzerland with goods.
© Daimler Truck AG

Haulage companies that transport goods by road require a licence to operate in Switzerland. The licence is issued by the FOT.

In addition to its activities in public transport and freight transport by rail and water, the FOT also has certain competencies in goods transport by road. It issues the licences necessary for road haulage and is responsible for making amendments to the Heavy Goods Vehicle Charge (HGVC), which are discussed in the Joint Committee on the Land Transport Agreement with the EU.