Authorisations I

Franziska Sarott-Rindlisbacher
Franziska Sarott-Rindlisbacher

Authorisation of large-scale projects and cableways

Anyone who intends to build and operate a railway requires a franchise from the Confederation. The individual constructions and installations also need planning permission - similar to planning permission for buildings.

We issue planning permissions and operating licences for all buildings and installations, and any renovations or alterations made to them, necessary for realising projects such as the NRLA, noise abatement or high-speed connections. We also issue infrastructure franchises for railway installations. We manage the procedures for new or renovated cableways and vehicles, and issue the relevant approvals and authorisations. Large-scale projects and cableways require an operating licence before they can start operating.

We are the leading authority in these procedures, and involve the Confederation's and the cantons' specialised agencies where necessary. The procedure includes investigating the projects in terms of their safety. Before decisions are made, we carry out consultation and - if necessary - conciliation procedures with all the parties involved.

The safety inspections for planning permission fall under the remit of the Safety Division.