- It is paramount to ensure the safe operation and sustainable maintenance of the existing service.
- This forms the base from which the service should be extended so that additional demands can be met.
- In addition, the efficiency of the service provider - whether the railways or their suppliers - must constantly be improved.
- And finally: the question must be answered of the extent to which the users on the one side, and the taxpayers on the other, should bear the costs of the world's best transport system. As it grows and succeeds, public transport must continuously improve its cost efficiency.
In addition, the sentence says that the Federal Office of Transport is at the hub of the best public transport network in the world. As the FOT's Director I am happy to take on the challenge of maintaining this position. I will focus my activity on five values.
- The FOT has an annual budget of around CHF 5.6 billion. This money should produce the greatest possible impact on public transport.
- All those who work with the FOT can expect that we will do our jobs efficiently; in return, we should be able to expect the same efficiency from service providers in public transport.
- As a Federal Office, we are committed to openness: we say what we do, and we do what we say.
- All partners should be able to count on our reliability.
- Finally, a system as complex as Switzerland's public transport network can only be run on a basis of trust.
If we all perform to the best of our ability in our roles, we can continue to be proud of our role "at the heart of the best public transport system in the world".